Home > Receiving
Delivery of requested products or services marks a transition in the Purchase-to-Pay process from a Purchasing activity to an Accounts Payable activity. For this transition to be successful, two important actions must be taken:
- The customer must properly take delivery of the order.
- For most items ordered using Pathways Materials Management (PMM), it is necessary to create a receipt for the order within PMM as soon as possible. Receipt acknowledgment within PMM is required in order for payment to take place.
Your Responsibility for Receipt of Goods:Each department has the responsibility to inspect, verify, and sign for satisfactory delivery of goods or services. In the case of unsatisfactory delivery, performance or other order discrepancy, they should contact the Purchasing Agent listed on the PO for assistance.
When the supplier delivers the products or services specified, it is the department's responsibility is to match the items it receives to the packing slip, to the Purchase Order, and the Departmental Invoice Report.
Receiving Checklist:The faculty or staff member receiving and signing for the products is responsible for inspecting products upon receipt while the delivery driver is still present because this is the most reasonable time to determine whether the correct number of conforming goods arrived without damage.
The party receiving the shipment should follow these steps:
Immediately Upon Delivery
- Inspect the delivery for damage.
- Check the products against the packing slip to confirm items and quantity are correct.
- If damages are apparent, make a detailed description of any problems on all the freight paperwork.
- If there are discrepancies or damages, contact the purchasing agent listed on purchase order.
After The Invoice Has Been Entered For Payment
- Compare Departmental invoice report to the packing slip and the purchase order. In case of any discrepancies, contact Payment Services to have a "hold" placed on the invoice.
- If you need assistance in resolving the invoice discrepancy, contact the purchasing agent listed in the purchase order.