Skip to main content

Higher One Q&A

How does the monthly payment plan work?

Each May, the parent/student needs to establish a budget for the fall and each October establish a budget for the spring semester. This budget may encompass all or any portion of your out-of-pocket expense required to cover tuition, room, meal plans, Commodore Cash, and various other expenses. Estimated costs may be obtained from our website.

 Why do I not have a zero balance on my student account since I am making monthly payments to Higher One?

 If you have a balance due directly to the school, it is due to a shortfall in the budget with Higher One. Some expense was not fully budgeted for, and it is best to pay the money directly to the University.

  How do I change my budget?

Please contact Higher One at 1-800-239-4211, or online. During certain times of the year, Higher One may require Vanderbilt approval. Higher One will e-mail Vanderbilt seeking approval. There is no need to contact Vanderbilt.

How do I make sure that what I budgeted for will include my card selections and meal plans?

To include meal plans or Commodore Cash, you must also contact the Commodore Card Office. Depending on the time of year, they might require a payment with the request. If not, these items may be billed to your account and you may pay Vanderbilt directly. If you did budget a meal plan or an amount for Commodore Cash, you must communicate your intentions with the Card Office. Higher One will not inform Vanderbilt of your intentions.